Julius Berger Officially Transfers Control of N336 Billion Second Niger Bridge to Federal Government
Julius Berger, the contractor responsible for the construction of the Second Niger Bridge, has formally handed over the completed project to the Federal Government. The 1.6-kilometer-long bridge, with an estimated cost of 336 billion Naira, serves as a vital link between Anambra and Delta states.
Although the project was officially launched on May 23, 2023, additional construction work and ancillary roads were required after the initial inauguration. In a brief ceremony conducted at the toll area of the bridge over the weekend, Minister of Works Dave Umahi expressed his approval of the completed project.
Umahi said that the bridge is open to concession for any private company prepared to finish all associated roads, handle toll collection, and recover their investments.
“The roads are going to be completed when we have completed the two interchanges: one is taking us off from Asaba town to cut off the traffic, and the other one is going to be done by Reynolds Construction Company Ltd to avoid Onitsha town and take you straight to Obosi,” he said.
For his part, the Managing Director, of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, Lars Richter, said the handover was just a technical one.
“The Main Second Niger Bridge has been completed. The toll stations are also ready for use,” Lars said.
The idea of constructing the Second Niger Bridge emerged in 1978/79, with Shehu Shagari, then a candidate for the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), championing the proposal. Other governments have since then tried to start, but didnt go ahead.
The bridge opened for local traffic on December 15, 2022. To accommodate the ongoing construction of connecting roads, temporary routes have been established, ensuring the bridge’s accessibility during the Christmas holidays. Currently, there are no toll fees for crossing the bridge.